Wednesday 6 January 2016

♥ Lolita Lifestyle Challenge - Day 5! ♥ ~ Lolita Books! ~



Today's Lolita Lifestyle Challenge was an easy one for me, at least! I am a terrible book hoarder - I buy them, I think I'm going to read them, and then I don't get around to doing it. Haz is much the same; we have a whole boatload of books we've bought because they were cheap or looked cute and we just haven't got around to them yet. I bought Haz two cute children's books for Christmas and my Mother bought us both books, but we just haven't really read them yet!

I use goodreads as a way to track what I'm reading - or, at least I do when I remember to. If you follow that link you'll mainly find the trashy Young Adult books that I read as my guilty pleasure; or not really that guilty, because I'm not too ashamed to admit to them. I often just scroll through goodreads mindlessly adding titles to my 'to read shelf' - I find it very easy to get stuck in a rut of adding similar books! On there you'll probably see a lot of performing arts-related books, a lot of fairytale retellings, and an awful lot of vampire books! 

Haz likes old-fashioned children's books; her favourite book is A Little Princess but she'll basically devour any vintage children's book. I love them too; we often find we have very similar tastes and ask the other to hurry up and finish it! She's currently on the hunt for the "A Little Princess" sequel by Hilary Mackay. 

I'm currently re-reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell; I've been finding anxiety quite difficult to deal with recently and having comfort and familiarity in all of my material helps me quite a lot with that. I bought The Night Circus from a charity shop and finished it and Haz brought it down for the journey, so she's currently in the middle of that!

I had a hunt through goodreads for books that I was interested in that I thought fitted my idea of the lolita aesthetic; a little old-fashioned and peculiar but still very charming, and here's a couple of books that I found that I shall be hunting out as soon as I can! 


01. Mistress Masham's Repose by T.H. White

"Ten-year-old Maria, orphaned mistress of Malplaquet, discovers the secret of her deteriorating estate: on a deserted island at its far corner, in the temple long ago nicknamed Mistress Masham's Repose, live an entire community of people—"The People," as they call themselves—all only inches tall. "


02. Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer

"When Charlotte Makepeace wakes up after her first night at boarding school, she's baffled: everyone thinks she's a girl called Clare Mobley, and even more shockingly, it seems she has traveled forty years back in time to 1918. In the months to follow, Charlotte wakes alternately in her own time and in Clare's."


03. The Children of Green Knowe by C.M. Boston

"Tolly's great grandmother isn't a witch, but both she and her old house, Green Knowe, are full of ghosts, children from centuries before."


04. All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor

"It's the turn of the century in New York's Lower East Side and a sense of adventure and excitement abounds for five young sisters - Ella, Henny, Sarah, Charlotte and Gertie.  The five girls enjoy doing everything together, especially when it involves holidays and surprises."

Are you currently taking part in the Lolita Lifestyle Challenge? What book are you hoping to read for this task? We'd love to hear all about it!

✿Love,✿
♥Haz & Nat♥










No comments:

Post a Comment